These are delicious AND easy to make: Take a medjool date and cut in half. Remove the pit and stuff with a pecan halve. (stuffing with two pecan halves is also an option!) These taste like pecan pie but without all the saturated fat and guilt.
- Makes 2 servings.
- 1-2 rounds of whole wheat pita bread
- cooking spray
- kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Line a rimmed cookie sheet with foil.
- Cut each pita round into 8 triangles. (Half the pita, half each half, half each fourth)
- Separate each triangle into two chips.
- Place chips on the cookie sheet (one chip up, next chip down in rows to optimize space).
- Lightly spray chips with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until light brown and crispy.
- Warning: these are addictive.
- Can be prepared up to a week ahead. Store in an airtight container.
- This recipe can be halved and you’ll still have plenty.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 4 cups pecan halves (about 1 pound)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place pecans on cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Line another cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Bring first 3 ingredients to a boil in a heavy medium-sized saucepan over medium heat (#5 on an electric stove top), stirring constantly. Boil for 30 seconds. Remove from heat.
- Stir in pecans. Mix well.
- Spread pecans on waxed paper. Cool completely.
- Separate pecans if necessary.